Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Devil's Backbone

The film Devil's Backbone is a well made film.  However, the question remains as to what genre this film should be categorized in.  Is it a horror film? Is it a fable?  Is it a crime film?  The answer is not a simple one.  As a matter of fact I think a claim can be made for all three of these types of film.  In addition, I do not think Guillermo Del Toro intended this to fall under one specific genre.  I think he left it open for interpretation to the viewer.
I would like to first point out that that this film has many characteristics of a horror film.  The fact that a ghost haunts Carlos throughout the film is a good starter.  In addition, is the mystery of how the ghost, Santi, came about.  The mystery of this ghost I believe is what can constitute it as a crime film.  Carlos is continuously haunted by a ghost who he does not recognize.  He has to find out who this ghost is and for what purpose he keeps haunting him.
The definition of a fable consists of inanimate objects or forces of nature that have human qualities and through these illustrate a moral lesson.  I believe that the ghost of Santi can be considered in this because ghosts are not alive and therefore cannot have human qualities. In the film Santi can walk, talk and touch things and from this I found the moral to be "bad things happen to good people; worse things happen to bad people."

1 comment:

  1. While I agree that the film is definitely somewhat up for interpretation, I still believe that it is primarily horror. Ghosts? Check. Hauntings? Check. Dead bodies and evil caretakers? Check. Dead deformed babies and drinking embalming fluid? Check.

    In the end, with the fire and ghost of Cesares watching over the escaping children leaves a final haunting image, solidifying in my mind that The Devil's Backbone is horror.

    ReplyDelete