The right thing, what is it? In the movie "Do the Right Thing", by Spike Lee, I don't know if there really is a right thing to do. When I first finished the movie I thought wow what a terrible idea to throw the garbage can through a window. However, as I thought about the movie and the situation more I began to sway my mind to the other side of the situation. Which thinking about it more made me change my mind again. I came upon the conclusion of I don't know.
There are compelling arguments for both sides of the argument. For instance, you can say that Mookie had all the reason to throw the garbage can through Sal's Famous Pizzeria, but did he really? Sal may have been the one to destroy the boombox, but was it his fault that Radio Raheem was killed? Questions like these are the ones that went through my head when making my initial assumption. However, I then thought about the arguments for the other side. Had Mookie not thrown a garbage can through the window of the pizzeria, would Sal and his sons have been killed instead of the restaurant being destroyed? Or what message would Mookie have sent to the community if he did not defend the killing of another member, especially after the comment from Sal, "He got what he deserved."
Ultimately, I could not come up with a strong enough argument either supporting Mookie's decision or not. I think this had a lot to do with the fact that I do not know what the right thing is! I tried to think about what I would do in that situation but that did not help. I agree somewhat with what Bartley says in his article about how he cannot tell whether Mookie made the right decision because it is yet to be determined. I think that because I believe in the approach that Dr. King took about not using violence, and my belief that you need to defend yourself when you deem it necessary helped me come to this decision.
I definitely understand your hesitation to agree with one side or the other, as I felt the same way initially. However, I think that draws even more attention to the internal conflict that Mookie faced when deciding whether or not to throw the trash can threw the window. If it is hard for us now to decide, the gravity of Mookie's decision is thus intensified.
ReplyDelete